|Single Player, Multiplayer, Online Multiplayer|
|Media Included||Nintendo Comet Disc|
New elements in the gameplay include, of course, the addition of SpongeBob characters and teams. New events are introduced into the Winter Olympics and more new things within the events, too. Online play is introduced into the Winter Games series for the first time. Instead of just being able to check records, players can join with up to three friends and go online to play single events or team events. Friend codes are also utilized. A story mode is brought into this game, with four unique stories involving the players play through events to win.
The gameplay is also very closely related to Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games. Many events are played similarly. Emblems also return, there being various to unlock. Records can be checked, including which events were won with which character. The shop returns, in Christmas Village like the last game. Festival mode returns, where the player can go through events just like in the actual Olympics. Training and party games also see a comeback.
- Olympic Events (1-4 Players): Events are played in realistic locations where the Olympic Winter games could possibly be held.
- Dream Events (1-4 Players): Similar to Olympic Events, but introduce items and Mario/SpongeBob settings, among some things. Every Dream Event is unlockable.
- Online Play (1-4 Players): Unlocked events can be played online with up to eight people (up to four locally)
- Records (1 Player): Records, such as collected medals, can be checked along with rankings and best times.
- Party Games (1-4 Players): Minigames relating to the Mario and SpongeBob worlds can be played which involve playing events along with their main premise.
- Shopping (1-4 Players): As in the predecessor, a shop is available to purchase things such as items, clothing, characters, costumes, information, decals, music, and other things.
- Festival Mode (1-4 Players): Players can play through seventeen days' worth of events as if they were actually in the Olympics.
- Story Mode (1-4 Players): A new story mode with four storylines can be played involving a variety of plots, settings, and characters.
- Training (1 Player): Training for events can be done here that involve completing a certain task that teaches the fundamentals of the event.
The game features twenty-four competitors, twelve from each series. The Mario characters are the same as in Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games, with the addition of Rosalina and Toad. Each character is part of a class of statistics, marked All-Around, Speed, Acceleration, and Power. Characters with equal stats are all-around, characters with high speed are in the speed group, and so on. Each character has a special item that they can obtain from Item Boxes.
These are characters from the Mario series.
These are characters from the SpongeBob series.
|Mr. Krabs||Speed: 20px20px20px|
|Shell Roll||Play story mode.|
|Weight Throw||Beat five Olympic Records.|
|Binary Blast||Play party games five times.|
|Pearl Toss||Collect ten different emblems.|
|Money Shot||Play party games ten times.|
|Mrs. Puff||Speed: 20px20px|
|Boating Boom||Play twenty different events.|
Main article: Mario and SpongeBob at the Olympic Winter Games/Events
There are forty total events, consisting of Olympic and Dream events. Some of these events are actually sub-events of a larger category of events.
These are realistic events that have/could appear(ed) in the Olympic Winter Games. There are no unrealistic twists implemented such as items. They take place in realistic locations.
|Slalom||Players race down a hill going through gates for the best time.||20px||20px|
|Ski Jumping||Players leap off a large hill to get points for balance and distance.||20px||20px|
|Ski Cross||Players race for the best time on a snow-covered course.||20px||20px|
|Moguls||Players do tricks in the air and go through gates to get the best score.||20px||20px|
|Snowboard Cross||Players race on a snow-covered course for the best time.||20px||20px|
|Halfpipe||Players do tricks on a large halfpipe to get points to win.||20px||20px|
|Short Track||Players ice-skate around a course for the best time over two laps.||20px||20px|
|Speed Skating||Four players race around a course like a relay race for the best time.||20px||20px|
|Figure Skating||Players skate around a track performing moves to get points.||20px||20px|
|Bobsleigh||Four players race down a track in a bobsleigh to get to the bottom first.||20px||20px|
|Skeleton||Players race down a track on a sled to get to the bottom first.||20px||20px|
|Ice Hockey||Four players play against four players on an ice rink to shoot a puck into a goal.||20px||20px|
|Curling||Four players try to shoot a stone at a goal to earn points.||20px||20px|
|Triathlon||Players race on a track alternating between skiing, snowboarding, and bobsleighing.||20px||20px|
These are unrealistic events. They take place in real locations from the Mario and SpongeBob series. Item Boxes and other unrealistic twists are implemented. Every Dream Event must be unlocked by playing Festival mode.
|Dream Slalom||Players race down a hill going through gates for the best time.|
|Dream Ski Jumping||Players leap off a large hill to get points for balance and distance.||20px||20px|
|Dream Ski Cross||Players race for the best time on a snow-covered course.||20px||20px|
|Dream Moguls||Players do tricks in the air and go through gates to get the best score.||20px||20px|
|Dream Snowboard Cross||Players race on a snow-covered course for the best time.||20px||20px|
|Dream Speed Skating||Players ice-skate around a course for the best time over two laps.||20px||20px|
|Dream Short Track||Four players race around a course like a relay race for the best time.||20px||20px|
|Dream Figure Skating||Players skate around a track performing moves to get points.||20px||20px|
|Dream Ice Hockey||Four players play against four players on an ice rink to shoot a puck into a goal.||20px||20px|
|Dream Curling||Four players try to shoot a stone at bowling pins to get points.||20px||20px|
|Dream Bobsleigh||Four players race down a track in a bobsleigh to get to the bottom first.||20px||20px|
|Dream Skeleton||Players race down a track on a sled to get to the bottom first.||20px||20px|
|Dream Snowball Fight||Players try to attack each other using snowballs to gain points.||20px||20px|
|Dream Gliding||Players on gliders try to attack each other to earn points.||20px||20px|
Dream Events LocationsEdit
This is a chart that displays the locations of Dream Events, which take place in real locations from the Mario and SpongeBob series.
|Dream Slalom||Cool Cool Mountain|
|Dream Ski Jump||DK Pass|
|Dream Ski Cross||Maple Treeway|
|Dream Moguls||Downtown Bikini Bottom|
|Dream Snowboard Cross||Bowser's Castle|
|Dream Speed Skating||Chum Bucket|
|Dream Short Track||Shell City|
|Dream Figure Skating||Goo Lagoon or Freezeflame Galaxy|
|Dream Ice Hockey||Krusty Krab|
|Dream Curling||Waluigi Pinball|
|Dream Bobsleigh||Bowser's Galaxy Generator|
|Dream Skeleton||Frosted Glacier|
|Dream Snowball Fight||Jellyfish Fields|
|Dream Gliding||Sandy's Treedome|
Festival mode is a mode where the players go through events spread across seventeen days as if they were actually competing in the Winter Olympics. The first day is the opening ceremony and the last day is the closing ceremony. Festival mode can be played individually or in a team of four. Playing Festival is the only way to unlock the Dream Events. After Festival Mode is complete, the player/team with the most points wins. Points are earned by defeating rivals, winning events, doing training, and other things. Every four days, the leaderboard is shown.
Individual Festival Mode EventsEdit
The events done in this Festival mode are strictly individual. That means no team events. One character must be chosen to complete every activity, who competes against seven others.
|Day||Training||Event 1||Event 2||Rival|
|2||Slalom, Ski Cross||Dream Slalom||N/A||N/A|
|4||Skeleton||Dream Moguls||N/A||King Boo, Slalom|
|5||N/A||Dream Ski Cross||Dream Skeleton||N/A|
|6||Shopping Day: Players go to the Christmas Village and buy things.|
|7||Short Track||Figure Skating||N/A||N/A|
|8||Speed Skating||Ski Cross||N/A||Bull Worm, Skeleton|
|9||N/A||Short Track||Dream Speed Skating||N/A|
|10||Snowboard Cross||Dream Gliding||N/A||Wendy, Ski Cross|
|11||N/A||Dream Ski Jumping||Speed Skating||N/A|
|12||Triathlon||Skeleton||N/A||Man Ray, Short Track|
|13||Ski Jumping||Halfpipe||Dream Moguls||N/A|
|14||Shopping Day: Players go to the Christmas Village and buy things.|
|15||N/A||Triathlon||Ski Jumping||Big Plankton, Halfpipe|
|16||N/A||Moguls||Snowboard Cross||Dry Bowser, Triathlon|
Team Festival Mode EventsEdit
The events done in this Festival mode are strictly for teams. A team of four chosen at the beginning must be used to complete all of the activities, who compete against three other teams. After completion, the used team is registered and in normal team events, the player can press X on the controller and that team will automatically be selected. Registered teams can be changed by playing Team Festival again.
|Day||Training||Event 1||Event 2||Rival|
|2||Slalom, Ski Cross||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|4||Figure Skating||Dream Ski Cross||N/A||King Boo, Slalom|
|6||Shopping Day: Players go to the Christmas Village and buy things.|
|7||N/A||Dream Figure Skating||Dream Bobsleigh||N/A|
|8||Curling||Ski Cross||N/A||Big Plankton, Ski Cross|
|9||Short Track||Dream Ski Jumping||N/A||N/A|
|10||Ice Hockey||Dream Short Track||Figure Skating||Bull Worm, Bobsleigh|
|11||N/A||Ski Jumping||Dream Curling||N/A|
|12||Snowboard Cross||Dream Snowball Fight||Short Track||Ludwig, Curling|
|13||N/A||Dream Ice Hockey||Bobsleigh||N/A|
|14||Shopping Day: Players go to the Christmas Village and buy things.|
|15||N/A||Curling||Ice Hockey||Man Ray, Short Track|
|16||N/A||Snowboard Cross||Dream Gliding||Dry Bowser, Hockey|
Main article: Mario and SpongeBob at the Olympic Winter Games/Shopping
In the Christmas Village, there are many things buyable with Star Tokens. Star Tokens are earned by winning events, beating records, getting emblems, and many more. The Star Tokens can be spent at the various shops, which consist the Boutique, Music Store, Library, Sports Shop, and Secret Shop. The Secret Shop is unlocked only by collecting gold medals in all events. The Boutique has various costumes and different clothes for the characters. The Music Store consists of music from the game and extra music from the Mario and SpongeBob series. The Library has useful information about events and the history of the Winter Olympics. The Sports Shop has decals and patterns appliable to sports gear such as skis. The Secret Shop has special items not found anywhere else.
There are four party games that each involve playing events. By winning events, the players get points, and depending on how the actual party game works, the player with the most points wins.
SpongeBob Party GamesEdit
- Patty Flip: In Patty Flip, the four players are given four grills. The first player gets to choose an event from a large wheel. If the event is a team event, then the players play two-on-two. If the event is individual, then they all play against each other. After the event rankings are determined, players are given a certain number of Krabby Patties. The first player gets twelve, then ten, then eight, then six. In a team match the top two get ten and the bottom two get eight. The players must flip their patties and add ingredients to sastify a given order. Points are given based on how good the patty was. After a set number of rounds, the player with the most points wins.
- Jellyfishing: Players are placed in Jellyfish Fields, which has several Jellyfish roaming about. Players choose an event from a large wheel. After the event is decided, the players start playing. If the event is a team event, then the players play two-on-two. If the event is individual, then they all play against each other. After the rankings are decided, nets are given to the players. The first player gets twelve, then ten, then eight, then six. In a team match the top two get ten and the bottom two get eight. Each net can only be used to capture Jellyfish once. If the player misses, the net is gone. Different colored jellyfish give different points: pink is one, red is two, blue is five, green is ten, and a queen jellyfish is twenty. After a set number of rounds, the player with the most points wins.
Mario Party GamesEdit
- Flower War: Players are locked in a grassy, two-dimensional landscape remnisicent of the World 1s of several 2D platformers which features several of the flowers from the Mario series, which are the Fire, Ice, Cloud, and Boomerang Flowers. Each flower has a unique ability that will help the player win. The Fire Flower can burn opponents, taking away some health. The Ice Flower takes away less health but can freeze the opponent for two seconds, making them vulnerable to strong Ground-Pounds. Speaking of them, all players can Ground-Pound, but the Cloud Flower allows the player to get higher up, making the damage total higher. The Boomerang Flower can shoot devastating attacks, but it only has one Boomerang which must always return to the player first. The winner of this minigame gets to choose the Olympic event and he is deemed "the leader". Each person who finishes ahead of the leader in the event gets points, while the leader loses them, and vice versa. The player with most points after a set number of rounds wins.
In the Dream Events, Item Boxes are found in some stages that contain items that the player can use. Items from both series are found in the Item Box roulette, and each character has a special ability only they can use, received by an exclamation mark in the roulette. Not including special abilties, there are ten items total, five from each series.
There are five total items from the SpongeBob series.
It gives the user a spurt of energy that allows them to crash into other players without spinning out (they spin out) and lets the user go faster. It lasts for five seconds.
|Jellyfish||When used, it flies toward the nearest skiier/snowboarder/skater/glider/bobsleigher/skeletoner and stings them, making them spin out briefly.|
|Steering Wheel||A boatmobile's steering wheel can be thrown across the course like a Frisbee. When it hits something, it explodes and any player caught in the blast spins out.|
|Karate Glove||Equips the player with extra power, meaning that in events like Curling and Hockey, their throws/shots are stronger. In racing events, blows given by crashing are stronger.|
There are five total items from the Mario series.
|Power Star||The Power Star protects the player from any form of damage and lets them go into deep snow without losing speed. Any players run into will spin out, like in Mario Kart.|
|Red Shell||The Red Koopa shell, when shot, homes in on the nearest racer that is ahead of the player. It cannot be shot backward, unlike in Mario Kart.|
|Green Shell||It is very similar to the Red Shell, but it does not home in. Instead, it goes in a straight line and can bounce off walls up to five times, unlike the Red Shell.|
|Fire Flower||The player can shoot out fireballs that make the nearest racer spin out. The player gets ten, but if five seconds passes, the power-up vanishes even if ten are not used yet.|
Each of the twenty-four playable characters has their own ability which they can use after getting an exclamation mark in an Item Box similar to Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games where the mark appeared in the form of the A button.
Main article: Mario and SpongeBob at the Olympic Winter Games/Emblems
There are one hundred special emblems (badges) in the game awarded for doing various things in the game. Some are awarded for things like getting gold medals in every event and playing a party game.
The only unlockables in the game are half of the total amount characters and every Dream Event.
There are twelve unlockable characters, six from each series.
|Name||How to Unlock|
|Wario||Get ten gold medals.|
|Waluigi||Play five different events.|
|Toad||Play one party game.|
|DK||Play story mode twice.|
|Bowser Jr.||Get twenty-five gold medals.|
|Rosalina||Play twenty different events.|
|Gary||Play story mode once.|
|Larry||Beat five Olympic Records.|
|Karen||Play party games five times.|
|Pearl||Collect ten different emblems.|
|Squilliam||Play party games ten times.|
|Mrs. Puff||Play twenty different events.|
|Event Name||How to Unlock|
|Dream Slalom||Complete Day 2 in either Festival mode.|
|Dream Ski Jumping||Complete Day 4 in either Festival mode.|
|Dream Moguls||Complete Day 5 in Individual Festival Mode.|
|Dream Ski Cross||Complete Day 3 in either Festival mode.|
|Dream Snowboard Cross||Complete Day 7 in either Festival mode.|
|Dream Speed Skating||Complete Day 10 in Individual Festival mode.|
|Dream Short Track||Complete Day 12 in either Festival mode.|
|Dream Figure Skating||Complete Day 8 in either Festival mode.|
|Dream Bobsleigh||Complete Day 9 in Team Festival mode.|
|Dream Skeleton||Complete Day 9 in Individual Festival mode.|
|Dream Curling||Complete Day 15 in Team Festival mode.|
|Dream Ice Hockey||Complete Day 13 in Team Festival mode.|
|Dream Snowball Fight||Complete Day 11 in Team Festival mode.|
|Dream Gliding||Complete Day 16 in either festival mode.|
- DLC was originally a feature in the game but was pulled.
Main article: Mario and SpongeBob at the Olympic Winter Games/Gallery
|v • t • e|
|Mario series||New Super Mario Bros. ULTIMATE • Super Mario Galaxy: War of the Cosmos • Mario Sports Resort • Mario Kart ULTIMATE • Mario's Epic Journey • Super Mario: Medieval Quest • Mario's Minigame Land • Super Mario: Panel Panic • Mario Kart Comet • Mario Kart Comet: Retro Kart • Zuper Zario Zrothers Zxtreme • Mario Kart Subterranean • Super Mario Sunshine 2: Return to Delfino|
|Koopa Games series||The Koopa Games • The Koopa Games II: Space Wars|
|Mario and SpongeBob series||Mario and SpongeBob at the Olympic Winter Games|
|Starship Crew series||Starship Crew • Starship Crew 2|
|IPs, fanfics, and other||Island Quest • GearQuest • Tape Twister • uPen • Life as a Luma • The Adventures of Flappy Bird • Lumoshi's Cookies|